Thursday, May 22, 2008

Why I LOVE Guru's Escrow Service

OK, it's one thing to write for free on purpose. It's a whole n'other matter to get stiffed!

And to be fair, from a client's perspective, it stinks when you pay a writer to write... and they disappear.

That's why I almost always use Guru's escrow service - especially with new clients. It's an excellent way to protect both of us as we start a working relationship.

It works like this:

  1. The client pays Guru.
  2. Guru holds the money.
  3. I write the project.
  4. The client approves the project.
  5. The client releases the funds.
  6. I get paid.
If there's some sort of problem where the client doesn't want to pay, you can have Guru mediate the situation. I've never had a problem like that, but it's good to know it's available.

The downside of using the escrow service is that Guru takes an extra bite out of your paycheck. (Maybe 5%? Hmmm, I should definitely know that!) So I don't use the escrow system with clients I'm working for on an ongoing basis. By the second or third project, we pretty much know and trust each other to deliver what's promised.

So is it worth it? I'll say. In fact, since I started with Guru, I have never once been stiffed on a writing fee. (Not through them, at least. And actually, I've only had one client ever who hasn't paid my invoice. Not a bad record, really.)

Do you use the escrow service? How has it worked for you?

No comments: