Thursday, July 10, 2008

The bonus (er, bribe!) from 7/10's newsletter

Thanks for voting for my video in the MarketingDoOver contest! I'll be sure to pass along lots of tips and tricks if I win!

And to help me thank you for your vote, here's.....


Project #8 for freelance writers with some unscheduled downtime.

Learn how to build websites.

This is a skill every freelance writer should pick up. It’s not that hard (heck, if I can do it, anyone can do it!), and it will come in very handy, very soon.

There are lots of programs out there, I’m sure. The one I use is XSite Pro. What I like about it is that it’s very intuitive. It works like lots of other programs I’ve used. You don’t have to know html at all, either, because it’s a WYSIWYG deal. If you can send an email, you can build a site.

HOWEVER, you really, really should do the tutorial before you get rolling. Even if you think you don’t need to. It only takes about an hour, and you’re building a real site as you learn.

Why is this a good use of your downtime?

Lots of reasons:

  1. It’s another service you can offer your clients. It’s especially attractive to internet marketers who are just starting out. If you can build the site AND write the content, you’re the hero!

  2. It’s not hard – it just takes some time to learn. And if you’re swamped with other projects, chances are that you’re not going to want to take the time to learn website building.

  3. There will come a time when it dawns on you, “Hey! I could use my writing skills for my own benefit!” If you get into information marketing, you can produce your own products, press releases, articles, and sales copy. You won’t want to pay someone else hundreds or thousands of dollars to build a site for you. If you learn how to build sites for yourself, it’s the proverbial “teach a man to fish” deal – you’ll be able to create all kinds of income streams.

Hey, if you want to read the others on the list, subscribe! I'll get it out to you along with your copy of the free report "Top 5 Tactics to Boost Your Writing Business" - but you'll only get this edition of the newsletter if you sign up before 7/17.

No comments: