Friday, August 8, 2008

Pull the trigger on your freelance writing business

Not THAT kind of trigger! C'mon, deadlines really aren't that bad! : )

What I'm talking about is a trigger device, something you can use to change the way you think. Triggers are wonderful at accomplishing a task that sometimes seems insurmountable: waking us up!

Think you're really awake when you're awake? You'd be surprised. We do so many things in autopilot mode that we don't even notice that we're just kind of cruising along. It's a mechanism that comes in handy, but one that can just as easily drive you right into a rut.

Let's do a little experiment (on the honor system, since I won't be there to watch you!).

Take a look at your watch. You've got about 60 seconds to look at it. (I'd sing you a little song to help pass the time, but it might be distracting.)
...............................................................................................................

OK. Time's up. Hide your watch behind your back.

Tell me... what marks the hours on your watch? Do you have numbers? At all the number spaces? Do you have a dot? A diamond? Nothing? Roman numerals?

OK, you can look now.

But see my point? You look at your watch HOW many times a day? But you don't always SEE it.
That's autopilot.

A trigger serves you by jolting you out of autopilot and reminding you to do or think something else. You can use a trigger to remind you to take a deep breath, to pray, to compliment someone... whatever would best serve you at the time.

So here's a challenge I heard from Brian Klemmer at some point:

Take some red nail polish and paint a tiny dot on your watch. Every time you see that dot, you're going to say something to yourself about your writing business that's going to help you move forward. For example, when I look at the dot on my watch, I say, "Wow! I've got tens of thousands of dollars coming in every month from my writing!"

Do I? Not yet. But if I've learned one thing in life, it's the power of words.

"As a man thinketh...."


Oh yes, and if you're interested, you can sign up for Klemmer & Associates' free newsletter by visiting www.klemmer.com.

No comments: