Thursday, December 11, 2008

Looking for freelance writing work? Check in with your favorite clients

Life happens to everyone.

Including your clients.

You complete a gig, they go on their merry way, and after a little while they start feeling another project brewing. But there are bills to pay, meetings to attend, computer stuff to take care of... before they know it, they almost forget how easy it was just to outsource the last writing project.

In many industries, they say, "The fortune's in the follow-up."

And while following up with your clients may not earn you a fortune in any one particular gig, over the long haul, follow up can mean the difference between one little project and a string of bigger projects.

Now, you don't want to be a pest - but there's nothing wrong with a little, "Hey, just wanted to check in to see if you have any writing needs I can help with."

More often than not, when I do this now and then, I'll get responses like, "Wow! I was just thinking of you!" followed by a nice gig.

Of course, I only contact clients I've enjoyed working with in the past - sure beats working for the other kind!

No comments: