Monday, September 29, 2008

So, what should a freelancer DO at a networking function?

First, a side note for those of you who've chosen freelance writing as a business because you're thrilled to go hermit... you may want to puke in your shoes at the thought of going out networking.

Get over it.

The first event I ever went to, I didn't know a soul. I wanted to go about as much as I wanted to poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick.

But, that's just no way to go through life. Life is about people, and you do nobody a favor by hiding yourself away - even if you're "no good" with people.

So, I committed to having five conversations with strangers, and then I could leave if I wanted to.

I did... and I did.

1, 2, 3, 4, and glorious #5... and I was outta there.

So, that's step #1.

No comments: