Monday, November 3, 2008

My freelance writing best friend is a dragon

I feel like I'm landing airplanes or something, and keep klunking myself in the head every time I get a phone call, but am really getting into using my voice recognition software as I write.

At first it felt really weird to be writing with my mouth instead of my fingers - but I'm getting used to it.

There are two HUGE benefits I'm enjoying with Dragon:

  1. Speed. I've knocked out 1,000 words in the time it would have taken me to write half that. Once I got past my internal editor and just let the words flow, my speed really picked up. Yes, there's some editing needed afterward, and that takes time - but not as much as it would to do the initial writing.

    One funny thing where Dragon misunderstood what I said:

    I was writing about greeting cards printed on-demand, and said the benefit was that you didn't end up with a closet full of cards.

    Dragon's version: you don't end up with a closet full of Kurds.

    Um, probably also a good benefit, don't you think??

  2. Natural voice for my articles. Most of my clients want a conversational style for their articles, so what better way than to actually... speak?! In fact, I used Dragon on one of my recent newsletter articles and had more responses than ever before - think that might be beneficial to your clients??



No comments: