Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Writing from home - probably the biggest challenge

Anyone who works from home - who's got kids, anyway - shares this challenge, and it's a biggie.

With school just letting out, I can practically hear the writers out there groaning in unison: "I can't concentrate with all these people around!"

Some days it seems like it would be a lot easier if I just had an office to go to. I could leave work at work. I could close the door, concentrate, turn off the phone, and work straight through without interruption. Plus, there wouldn't be any complaining - or like I'm hearing lately, begging for a turn on my computer. Don't get me wrong - my kids are awesome, and I love them with all my heart. It's just that we both end up feeling bad about me closing the door and hanging the virtual "Do Not Disturb" sign while I work. And it often takes me twice as long to complete a project when they're home, because it's hard to write with "Sponge Bob" on in the background. With a little escape to a quiet place, maybe I could get it all done in half the time?

And it's always a possibility. There are writers out there who rent office space.

What do you think about that idea? Have you considered it? How is it working for you? Any tips?

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Headphones!!
Teresa